In 1996 the Ministry of Education launched the 'Odysseia' project (http://odysseia.cti.gr/English/ODYSSEIANEW/ about.htm) with the purpose of integrating ICT into school curricula. The aim of this project was to develop the necessary critical mass of school communities that would integrate technologies as an everyday tool, and in parallel, to provide valuable experience for further diffusion. The purpose of computer use in schools within this framework was to encourage exploratory and collaborative learning, as well as to develop the communication skills of students.
The Odysseia project implements its goals in three basic ways :
The training of 5,500 teachers who participated in the project, was undertaken by 125 ICT teacher facilitators, selected from among the most accomplished Greek teachers. They were trained at the post-graduate level, for one year, in three training centres overseen by three Universities.
The Informatics Council is a legislated consulting body that aims to facilitate partnerships between public agencies, computer science companies and the scientific community. The Council aims to contribute to the successful exploitation of ICT in the public sector through consultancy to the Ministry of Internal Affairs, by the introduction of new technologies in the public sector, and by the implementation and running of ICT systems and programs.
ICT use has been integrated into all levels of education through the Informatics National curriculum into all levels of education, mainly aiming to familiarise students with basic ICT tools, basic computer science concepts and social issues related to the integration of new technologies in modern society.
Further developments in ICT exploitation in education have been initiated by the Ministry of Education, within the 'Information Society Operational Program 2000-2004'. The programme consists of four main areas: infrastructure development; teacher training; educational content development; and education administration. In the first area, computer labs are established in primary, secondary, higher and special education. Additionally, network infrastructure is being provided for the school and academic network, while at least one tele-education room is being established in each academic institution. Finally, information centres are being developed in every public library.
In the second area, training is being given to 76.000 (63% of total) primary and secondary school teachers in ICT use and exploitation in teaching and learning (the other 51.000 teachers represent the 37% already trained).
In the third area, a technical support structure is being established in primary and secondary schools. Additionally, eight more educational software packages are being localised in Greek, seven more Greek educational packages and 50 packages of educational activities are being developed. Moreover, three educational portals are being developed: one for educational matters and resources; one for the Greek language; and one for youth, while telematic services are being developed for the school and academic networks. Finally, library resources are being digitised. (http://en.infosoc.gr)(source:kee.gr)
In the first quarter of 2004, 505,246 students (15-18 years) used the Internet. 263,201 used the Internet at home, 313.053 at school, 109.135 in a cyber-café and 71.098 at a friend's (source: national statistic institute).
As part of the 'Information Society Operational Program 2000-2004' the Ministry of Education has initiated further developments on ICT exploitation in education. The programme consists of four main areas: infrastructure development; teacher training; educational content development; and education administration.
Project SEED was initiated by the University of Athens, School of Philosophy, and the Educational Technology Lab Department of Education. SEED aims to generate integrated communities, consisting of teachers, researchers, and software developers (http://ilios.cti.gr/seed/public/about.asp).
Project ModellingSpace was initiated by the University of the Aegean, Department of Education Learning Technology and Educational Engineering Laboratory (LTEE) (http://www.modellingspace.net/).
e-MUSE : e-Learning for Museum and School Environments initiated by the Research Academic Computer Technology Institute to create and implement a new e-learning environment and demonstrate the potential of e-learning solutions for specific user groups. (http://www.cti.gr/engl_v/general/general_frames_page.html).
The program Mentor is a media education project for the Mediterranean region that is implemented by UNESCO.
The program Educaunet (http://www.educaunet.org) is a European Programme to develop critical awareness of Internet risks through media education.