Comments about educational initiatives
- We find again the same dispersion of the national situations, concerning educational initiatives. The range is really broad.
- Here again, the complexity of the initiatives seems related to the technological level of access to the Internet.
- Portable telephones are much less the centre of educational initiatives.
- The initiatives are more inspired by the social representations than by systematic analyses, produced by scientific observations. Here again, we find the first stage of a technological implantation, when the social intuitions are transformed directly into principles of action. Two action models are present. The first one, and maybe the most visible is the model of protection. It comes mainly from jurists, regulation instances, technicians and citizens associations fearing dangers for youngsters, and considering him as an innocent victim. The second model, based on competences and education, comes from the field of social sciences, philosophy, pedagogues, teachers and sometimes parents, presenting youngsters as competent users. Those two models, produced by different social sensitivities, are leading to define different problems in one model or in the other.
- Long run actions are nearly absent. Campaigns are more frequent.
- Educational initiatives are far more intended to increase technical knowledge and skills, than to develop critical awareness. This situation seems to be common to all focused countries.
- The European engagement in connection with Internet appears clearly.
It includes protection, awareness and educational initiatives.